The presentations covered the profitability and sustainability-related challenges that our customers all over the world face: improving safety, availability, and process efficiency; reducing operational costs; meeting tightening emission standards; and getting the most from digitalization.
In South Africa, the most critical challenges are related to safety, the price and availability of electricity, taxation, the availability of skilled workers, and environmental regulations.
The seminar program included the following presentations:
1. Fighting for the future of smelting – globally and locally - Lauri Närhi, Henry van der Walt
2. Outotec PSC technology – operational experience and future developments - Jan Stål
3. Ferroalloys go green – minimizing emissions - Lauri Närhi
4. The fully automated smelter – from idea to impact - Joey Hoang
5. Outotec Ausmelt Process – the first three decades’ experience and outlook in southern Africa - Stephen Hughes
6. Services for smelters - Tuelo Segosapelo
7. Requirements for electric furnaces in 2020 and beyond - Antti Vestman
The next Outotec Smelting Seminar will be held in 2020.