Metso Outotec was voted the winner in the Service and Support category by one of the world’s leading industrial magazines, Mining Magazine for the center launder upgrade project conducted at Hudbay Minerals Constancia site.
In its annual awards, Mining Magazine recognizes the outstanding performance of new technologies, initiatives, and equipment in the mining sector in a variety of categories. Winners are nominated and voted on by Mining Magazine readers around the world.
Metso Outotec and Hudbay collaborated to improve the performance of the rougher flotation at the Constancia mine site located in southern Peru.
"We are proud for this recognition granted by professionals in the mining industry, and at the same time very happy because of the collaborative work and the highlighting of the results achieved with Hudbay," says Eduardo Nilo, President of South America.
"We are very committed to the development of technological solutions that are aligned with the fulfillment of the goals of our clients as well as taking into account the environmental perspective. We aim to continue to improve our capabilities that can be leveraged to support improvements to our customers' operations and help us become a partner for positive change in the challenges they face,” he added.
"To optimize froth recovery in a flotation cell, the first step is optimizing the process operation, however, this will only reach the limitations by the design of the existing equipment; the Center Launder upgrade optimizes the flotation cell froth zone to maximize froth collection, resulting in higher metallurgical recovery,” states Guillermo Bermúdez, Product Manager, Upgrades, Flotation, Thickening and Automation.
The installation of the Center Launders took place in two stages in 2019.
Improved recovery in the flotation circuit is possible through one positive, sustainable, and efficient upgrade.
- Low froth overflow, especially in the last cells of the flotation row
- Improvement areas in Copper and Molybdenum recovery
- Large froth surface area and froth transport distance in the flotation cells
- Take advantage of planned maintenance shutdown to retrofit the last three cells of the flotation rows
- Shortened the froth transport distance and optimized froth surface area through Metso Outotec Center Launders
- Consistent improvements to optimize the performance of the upgraded cells through sampling, laboratory testing and statistical data
- A weighted recovery increase of 0.70% for Copper and 1.40% for Molybdenum
- Incremental cash flow resulting in a payback period of less than six months
- Improved operability, stability and process control of the rougher circuit
Find out more about the upgrade case on our web:
Further information, please contact:
Guillermo Bermúdez, Product Manager, Upgrades, Flotation, Thickening and Automation, Metso Outotec, Tel. +1 514 485 4000 email: guillermo.bermudez(at)mogroup.com
Helena Marjaranta, Vice President, Communications and Brand, Metso Outotec, Tel. +358 20 484 3212, email: helena.marjaranta(at)mogroup.com
Metso Outotec is a frontrunner in sustainable technologies, end-to-end solutions and services for the aggregates, minerals processing and metals refining industries globally. By improving our customers’ energy and water efficiency, increasing their productivity, and reducing environmental risks with our product and process expertise, we are the partner for positive change. Metso Outotec is committed to limiting global warming to 1.5°C with Science Based Targets.
Headquartered in Helsinki, Finland, Metso Outotec employs over 15,000 people in more than 50 countries and its sales for 2020 were about EUR 3.9 billion. The company is listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki. mogroup.com, twitter.com/metsooutotec