Yamana Gold is a Canadian-based gold producer, with mines and operations in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Chile. The Chapada open pit gold-copper mine in Brazil began production in 2007.
The project scope included Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) studies, basic and detailed engineering, shutdown planning, delivery of proprietary equipment, turn-key installation, commissioning, assisted operation and advanced training of on-site personnel. Outotec's manufacturing and service workshop in Guarapari, Brazil, gave additional benefits and flexibility to this project.
Benefits of the turn-key retrofit project
- Greater stability and control of flotation cells allowing for increased process optimization
- Significantly decreased energy consumption with Outotec cells (40%)
- Minimized production losses during installation and commissioning, second bank shutdown took only 6 days instead of planned 11
- Minimized sanding increases flotation circuit availability, leading to increase production
- Improved flotation performance, recovery of both copper and gold.